PLEASE NOTE as of 4/11/16 - Applications for 3+, 4+ & 7+ September 2017 are now closed.
Enquiry: Please ring the School Office for further information, on 01923 825648 or e-mail office@ mtpn.org.uk
Admission: Most boys join Merchant Taylors' Prep via the Nursery at 3+, 4+ or 7+.
To register your son for a place at MTP, please complete the Application for Entry Form which is with the prospectus and send it, together with the registration fee of £75.00 (non-refundable) to the Admissions Secretary.
After assessment an official offer may be made and you will be asked to complete and return a Parental Acceptance Form together with a deposit of £900.00. The sum of £500.00 will be set against the first term's fees and the balance of £400.00 will be retained by the school against any disbursements incurred during your son's final term at MTP. If your son is to continue his education at Merchant Taylors’ School in Year 9, the balance will be kept and reimbursed upon his leaving the school. If he leaves Merchant Taylors’ Prep to a different school, the balance will be reimbursed at that point.
Visits for the parents of prospective pupils are normally held on either Tuesday or Thursday morning, by appointment, in term time. You will be shown around the School by the Head of School. You will see the boys at work, examples of their work and have the opportunity to ask questions.
Admission to MTS
Parents of pupils at the Prep School will be given an assurance at the end of Year 5 which will be confirmed in the February when they are in Year 6 as to whether their son will be able to progress to Merchant Taylors’ Senior School at the end of Year 8. This decision will be based using the Prep School’s internal data and thorough knowledge of the pupils. Pupils will no longer be required to sit the 13+ examinations in order to progress to the Senior School.
- 3+ assessments take place in November each year for entry to Nursery for the following September.
- Candidates are invited to Nursery in groups of 10-15 children for a session that lasts about an hour.
- The assessments are play-based and children will be invited to play with other children and with our Nursery staff.
- Parents are invited to have a coffee in the adjoining room whilst their child is playing but it is also possible to stay with your child.
- Our assessment criteria are three-fold. Firstly we are looking for signs that children will take direction from one of the teachers and respond to them. Secondly, we are looking for signs of sociability and finally we are looking to see that their oral language is developing.
- Teachers completing the assessments are very experienced at working with young children and are very good at encouraging children and making them feel at ease.
- Parents are notified of our decision by letter a few weeks after the assessment.
- 4+ assessments take place in January each year for entry to Reception for the following September.
- Candidates are invited to school in groups of 10-15 boys for a session that lasts about an hour.
- The assessments are informal and are based on the Early Learning Goals of the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum.
- All assessments activities will be very similar to activities that children carry out in their current nursery.
- We contact nurseries to provide written reports for all candidates.
- We are looking for teachability and sociability in our 4+ assessments. We are not looking to find out what the children know but whether they have the potential to flourish in our learning environment.
- All candidates are notified of our decision by post at the end of January.
- 7+ assessments take place in November each year for entry to Year 3 for the following September.
- Candidates are invited into school for their assessment, which lasts for about an hour and a half.
- The assessment consists of English, Maths and Reasoning.
- We do not release sample papers but the assessments are based on the National Curriculum.
- We contact schools to provide reports for all candidates.
- We are looking for teachability and sociability in our 7+ assessments but we also need to ensure that candidates have the necessary skills to be successful in our learning environment.
- All candidates are notified of our decision by post in early December.